Processing the P1000 RAW files

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,422
Processing the P1000 RAW files

I am finding that the P1000 RAW files do have quite a bit of noise, and the result of this noise tends to make the image to appear somewhat soft. Normally, I would just use DxO Photolab Prime noise removal, which seems the best that I can find.

So, I have been trying to find a way to deal with the noise, One thing I have tried is Topaz AI Clear, which does seem to work well, but I wasn't quite pleased. And I have tried Topaz Denoise 6, and Neat Noise Removal and Photoshop and Lightroom. And Topaz AI Clear seemed to work best.

But I decided give Franzis Sharpen Projects Pro a try. One thing I find with this product is that I don't like the "Set Automatically" button as it is too aggressive and I don't like the look I get. Instead, I enlarge the image and try the Correction and Denoise sliders and very little with the other sliders. I also find that it works best if I attack the noise first in Lightroom and take out most of it. And then I launch Franzis Sharpen Projects Pro and do the tweaking previously mentioned.

The image I am showing is of a gazebo at a distance of about 1 mile to show how it works. But I suppose that once DxO supports the P1000, I be returning to it.

First image is a JPG export from Lightroom. I find that I need to first remove most of the noise before calling Franzis Sharpen Projects Pro.

This is the AFTER image where I used Franzis Sharpen Projects Pro.

Here is an image taken at an equivalent 105mm to get a sense of the distance to the Gazebo.  I didn't do one at 24mm equivalence since it becomes too small to even make out what it is.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-3 II +1 more
Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow