“Heavy” 24-70/2.8 Lens? Try A Wider, Supple, Strap.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,412
“Heavy” 24-70/2.8 Lens? Try A Wider, Supple, Strap.

While reading the responses to the “Worst Recent Lens Purchase” thread, I noticed several assertions that 24-70/2.8 lenses were too heavy. As one who gets a significant ache in the upper back, rather quickly, with any SLR hanging in front of my body, with the strap passing behind my neck, I felt an urge to adapt my recent reply, in that thread, to a stand-alone topic, offering a solution that may help some few others. I should add that I have not used the newest 24-70/2.8E VR; my experience is with the 24-70/2.8G and its predecessor, the pre-G 28-70/2.8 lens.

Try a wide, supple strap, adjusted long, and worn diagonally, so that the camera hangs at one’s side, above the front of the hip. The Peak Design Slide is an example of the strap with sufficient width, suppleness, and adustable length to be used this way. I do not like anything larger than a truly compact camera hanging directly in front of my body.

An additional trick is to affix one end of the strap to the tripod socket hole, and the other to a strap lug, to change the way a camera is oriented while hanging. This is how I will wear a non-vertical-gripped D700/D800-series-size camera, with a 24-70/2.8G lens; the lens points toward the ground while hanging. I can do this all day, and have done so for as much as the duration of two-week trip. (I would rather wear a vertical-gripped camera hang with its back flat flat against my body, so use both strap lugs when carrying a D3s or D5.)

I am not an athletic superman, and have my limitations, especially as I am passing from mid-fifties to late fifties in age. A heavier tele zoom, especially on a D5, will defeat me, in a relatively shorter time, if I let it hang by the strap. My 80-400G, or first-gen 70-200/2.8G VR, especially on a D5, is a bit much for an “all-day” lens.

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +49 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow