Help with lighting for a hair shoot

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ShannonMach New Member • Posts: 14
Help with lighting for a hair shoot

Hi guys,

So I'm very new to this all and am trying to set up a home studio in my basement (read: very low natural light levels, so basically black).

I will be shooting with a Canon EOS M50 and so far I have purchased two of these Neewer small LED panels: https://www.amazon.ca/NEEWER%C2%AE-Dimmable-Digital-Camcorder-Panasonic/dp/B004TJ6JH6

and one Generay Spectro LED light with a soft box for it. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1283187&is=REG

When I set everything up, the pictures looked pretty terrible. I had the Generay light in front of me and then the two Neweer lights behind me on either side to light the background. Everything just looked very harsh.

I was playing around the other day and found if I actually stood facing my backdrop (which was white) and pointed those two back lights into the background, and then also stood behind the main key light it looked better. My guess is because then the backdrop was acting as a reflector so the lighting wasn't so harsh perhaps?

Here are some pics to show what's going on. First pick is my goal (this was natural daylight...but I can't control weather so this is not a good thing to rely on I'm realizing).

Second pic me standing facing the backdrop behind the key light, the third pic is me standing with the 3 point lighting and fourth pic is how my set up looks (sorry it's not so pretty at this point!).

If someone has any advice on what I should buy, that would be great. I need to do BOTH video and pictures.... And my budget.. I'd probably like to stay around $1000ish if I can for all the lighting equipment. My aim is to keep colors looking as close to daylight as possible and particularly not to warm.

Thanks in advance! Oh and I should note these are my photos from my iphone... I just used it for a sample but the color is still quite similar on the camera (was doing this super quickly). But for the real deal I'll be using the Canon.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow