Very little progress in 5 years

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drbroom Junior Member • Posts: 25
Very little progress in 5 years

I am looking at doing some long-term travelling next year and have started researching what options are available to me in the world of m43. I have owned an E-M5 since release in 2012, and think it's an absolutely amazing piece of technology for the year it was releasee. I have minimal gripes about it that have grown over time:

• Lack of wifi transfer (I edit my images on my iPhone/iPad)
  • Limited to 1/4000 shutter speed (necessitating an extra ND filter)
  • Lack of focus peaking (I toy around with my partner's 60mm macro)

In this time I have owned:

• Olympus 12mm f2 [sold]
  • Panasonic 14mm f2.5 [sold]
  • Panasonic 20mm f1.7
  • Panasonic 25mm f.14 [plan on selling]
  • Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7

As you can infer I value small, reasonably fast, prime lenses. My goal of buying a new, small mirrorless camera to match these lenses has (almost) come up short. There appears to have been very little progress made since 2012 when it comes to small, capable mirrorless cameras but the competition of phone photography has rapidly advanced.

Over time I noticed that I was increasingly using my iPhone to take wide-angle photos in place of my E-M5, so I made the decision to sell my wide-angle lenses. The 28mm lens of the new iPhones coupled with Lightroom RAW HDR does a very admirable job at producing images.The main features that led me to use my iPhone camera are only available in the larger, more expensive bodies - namely OIS, in-camera RAW HDR and focus-stacking. It seems to me that these could have trickled down to smaller, cheaper bodies but it is part of the M43 strategy to keep these only in large top-end models.

While my ideal camera size is somewhere between the GM1, GM5, E-P5 continuum, these cameras have all been discontinued. I have ended up finding a second-hand E-P5 and have decided I am willing to sacrifice the weather-sealing and EVF of the E-M5 in favour of the slightly smaller E-P5 with wifi transfer.

However, purchasing a secondhand 2013 camera does not put money in Olympus' coffers. If either Panasonic or Olympus had a small, capable model in the market they would have had me. Instead, I see a future where I slowly shift away from M43 in favour of small compacts such as the RICOH GR3 or simply down to the iPhone. It appears that both APS-C and iPhone are progressing much faster than the world of M43.

Am I just too niche, or is there still a market for small, capable M43 bodies? Looking at roadmaps it appears that all the new announcements will be very fast, expensive glass and high-end, large bodies.

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow