WRONG WAY - GO BACK (II - Review)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 4,577
WRONG WAY - GO BACK (II - Review)

Eight months ago, when the A7III was announced, I started a thread called "WRONG WAY - GO BACK". I found it very interesting now, after all the recent new camera announcements, to read all the comments, arguments, expectations and predictions posted then.

I had my opinion of course and it still seems a reasonable one, as we continue to wait to see what Olympus is doing, after all this time:-

"I think they should focus on the E-M5 line, give it the same nice features as the E-M1, like PDAF, their best sensor, processor, IBIS, etc and make EM5 the flagship, a compact, affordable but very high quality camera selling at $1700. Update it every 2 years and get the best possible sensor each time. The E-M1 line should be a niche line, to let those refugees from 43 use their lenses. Update it only once every 8 years, and only with minimal improvement each time. Don't waste resources on it. It can have a big body for better handling of 43 or the heaviest M43 lenses, that a small minority of users would buy and use. Stop all development of the f/1.2 lenses because they do nothing in terms of competitiveness, they are mainly jewellery. Release some good UWA primes instead, 8 or 9mm with reasonable speed and size. The E-M5 can be very big and mainstream, selling to millions, like what the original E-M5. The E-M1 will never be a high volume seller, and especially now with Sony totally blocking any chance of a high priced M43 becoming significant. Olympus needs to do something. Stop dreaming about making the best lenses in the world (which is stupid for a small sensor). There's no glory when the business collapse again, even if you have lenses that best the best Leica. You will just look stupid, for not having learnt your lesson from 43. Know your limitations."

I believe it's good to revisit this and hear how everyone feels now.

The original thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60827341

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow