Revisiting an old friend, or friends?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,277
Revisiting an old friend, or friends?

Just saw the test images of house sparrows taken with the brand new Sigma 60-600, which inspired me to try some shots of the same species, this morning.

I have no 60-600, but I have the now old-ish Sigma 150-600 S, and it is a really nice lens, if a bit heavy (it's sharp and has a very nice bokeh), but it has been some time since I used it with my Nikon 1 V2, a camera that has been on the backburner for a while.

I wish I could have used my Nikon 1 J5, but, alas, is not compatible with big lenses with VR/OS, so for me it is either the V1, the V2, or a DX camera that works. So I have mainly, the last year, or so, used the Sigma with my two DX bodies, and occasionally my 'old' FX (does vignette quite a bit on FX, easily corrected).

Images below were shot in today's soft morning light, and none has been cropped, slight noise reduction have been applied and some sharpening, of course, that's about it:

There were blue tits around as well, but they stayed inside the minimum focusing distance, so I had not a chance to get an image of them!

Most shots were taken at 600mm, that is, in FX terms, 1620mm.

Essential with small sensors is to keep the ISO low, to keep the noise manageable. So sunshine helps a lot if you're into shooting birds, with a fairly slow lens, like this Sigma.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow