Aliasing on Straight Vertical lines with 4k video on A7r3

Started Oct 16, 2018 | Discussions thread
OP Chester McCheeserton Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: Aliasing on Straight Vertical lines with 4k video on A7r3

It's news for most beginners, but videography is vastly more complex than stills photography, and the settings in the semipro A7x cameras can be daunting. Just don't expect to get the hang of it after just a couple of weeks shooting and you'll be fine. It will take a normally talented person many months of practical experimentation and Internet research to even begin to understand how to get good video footage done. I'm pretty sure most people give up and settle for acceptable* video.

Every profile adds sharpening unless you dial down "Detail" to -3. Unfortunately, that's how pretty much every amateur/semipro camera are made, they all add sharpness out of the box.

And as someone already pointed out, to judge 4K footage critically, you MUST use a 4K display, or a smaller display with the player set to 100% scale (just giving you a crop of the whole image). Playing a 4K clip in a player that downscales on the fly to your display resolution will add moire/artifacts in many cases.

Okay Thank you.  I am a total beginner at video but not at still photography.  Attempting to make a personal/experimental art piece, and I'm aware it will be impossible to have real professional broadcast quality given my inexperience but trying to do the best I can.

Would you recommend always shooting all video with the detail at minus 3?

and that's a very useful suggestion about viewing the footage in the player at 100% scale, I'll try to figure that out today in Premiere.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow