Upgrading FROM a DSLR to a Point and Shoot?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ciscley
Ciscley New Member • Posts: 17
Upgrading FROM a DSLR to a Point and Shoot?

I have an 11 year old entry level DSLR that is only 10mp (Nikon D40x). I mostly use a 35mm (50mm equiv) 1.8 prime lens. I hate its Auto settings so I keep it in fully manual with the ISO at max 400. I use a bounce hot shoe flash if needed for indoor photos and I have a couple telephoto lenses from my Nikon film camera that I use for the rare zoo trips.

I still regularly print images including some poster sized canvas prints. I find the 10mp is fine if I’ve taken a good shot, but I’d love the wiggle room to crop more in post.

I want to start taking video of my nieces and nephew that is better quality than an iPhone. I also have a family vacation coming up next year to Tuscany and want to be able to take wide angle shots for both landscape and indoor architecture.

I feel like for the cost of a good wide angle Nikkor lens I could get a modern compact 1” or even a Micro 4/3 mirrorless. Both of which would have higher MP and offer video.

Lately I’ve been looking at the Panasonic line because of the 4K video options. The Lumix Lx-10 with the 24mm equivalent 1.4 Leica wide angle lens and ultra light weight body has me tempted.

Am I being crazy? Are the new sensors and improved menus / touch screen LCDs as big of an improvement as they sound? Will I be able to get the same quality of photos with a modern compact camera as an outdated DSLR?

I don’t need the compact to completely replace my dslr but I don’t want to be somewhere and regret not having the better camera. I feel like if the quality is not as good for the focal lengths it offers that I’d probably do better dealing with lower quality video for now (iPhone or maybe a GoPro) and taking my time to figure out an actual DSLR replacement system.

Which is a tougher decision since it will likely be another decade long commitment.

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D40 Nikon D40X Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow