Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Janes
Bob Janes Senior Member • Posts: 2,990
Re: Fuji instead of Sony?

TQGroup wrote:

Bob Janes wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

GrapeJam wrote:

I like Fuji but honestly I've found the analog controls to be annoying to use for practical purposes when I need speed, simple no BS controls and having to move my hands as little as possible, and the novelty wore off after a short time.

Fuji color is good for Jpeg casual sharing but for actual professional jobs I still find myself having to color grade and do a lot of post processing anyway and here is where Fuji just doesn't hold up to Sony both in lightroom and capture one. The files just don't handle heavy drastic post processing as well.

Skilled photographers don't need heavy drastic post processing! That will absolutely spoil any colour quality

Fuji has been involved with photographic colour for around 80 years. It is highly regarded by experienced professionals. Sony is by no means bad, but just doesn't have the clarity, conviction or decisiveness of Fuji. Experience is important

Don't forget that Sony took on the Konica Minolta cameras division, which was fairly highly regarded in relation to colour, both from Minolta's side with their colour rendition through lenses and with the input from Konica, who were even earlier into film production than Fuji.

Ahh yes, I remember those days. I just loved my mate's Minolta SRT-101/1.4 rokkor!

Unfortunately, Minolta didn't play their cards right and had to merge with Konica, right?

Both Minolta and Fujifilm were very strong in the pre-dSLR digicam market (when bridge cameras were king) - Minolta had some very good products - I'm not sure if it is possible to Identify a card played wrong as such - when People talk about Minolta they inevitably talk about the Honeywell lawsuit, but that was firmly pre-digital - 12 years before they merged with Konica and 16 years  before they got out of cameras.

Konica goes back to 1873, before even Kodak. OK, I wasn't born then, OK

The history is there but I think Konica just didn't have the impact in film that Fuji and Kodak had. I remember using Konica B&W film but never colour.

You may find you used it without realising - Konica used to produce stock for lots of own-brand shops and companies - they were also really big in mini-labs - the sort of equipment lots of little companies had on-site to enable them to do fast turn-around processing - from that PoV, it was quite a shock when they threw it all in to concentrate on copiers and printers - partly because they (Konica Minolta) had just produced two very capable and innovative APS-C DSLRs that competed well with the Canon and Nikon equivalents and included IBIS...

The problem was not many labs would process it in Australia. It was different in Japan.

..and the rest of the world, I was recently in Vancouver and was surprised to see the old pre-KM Konica logo on a film processor shop.

FWIW, I find that Sony make technology and then design a camera to fit that technology. For many of their products, and I've owned a few and still do, it works out OK. For others, not so much...

I don't think that anyone develops technologies unless they can see applications - I certainly can't think of any technology in photography that Sony have introduced in that way.

Canon and Nikon design the camera body first and then see what tech they can fit. For example, the Nikon 7 only has one card slot because two wouldn't fit into their desired body shape.

I suspect that they put in one card slot because they thought they could get away with putting in just the one (and to be fair they were right for the most part)... I also suspect that if they hadn't made the commitment to upgrade that XQD (Sony technology) slot to CFexpress via firmware, they might have found room for an SD slot (as they did for the D850).

I say this as I'm not aware that Nikon have made the same commitment to upgrade the XQD in the D850 to CFexpress as they have for the Z series, and the main difference would seem to be the presence of the SD slot (so I'm guessing that complicates things or at least limits some options) - happy to be corrected if you know of any commitments Nikon may have made to upgrade the D850 XQD slot to CFexpress..

Isn't it just great that we have some serious competitors in the market? It can only mean that goodies will be cheaper and better. Is it Christmas yet?

I agree...

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow