A return to the past, a retro moment

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,275
A return to the past, a retro moment

I still have my S90, and a few days ago, I had an urge to revisit the past.  So I bought a very clean SX220HS (same as the SX230HS, but no GPS), and then found a really clean ELPH 330HS.

Happily, both cameras arrived today, and both were perfect cosmetically, and both function perfectly and take very good shots, corner to corner.  No sign of shifted lens elements.

I've had the ELPH 330HS and the SX230HS before, so I'm very familiar with the cameras.  I sold both in a weak moment and then regretted it.  Nice to have them back!

If you're not familiar with those cameras, the ELPH 330HS was a 2013 model.  In Europe it was the IXUS 255, and won Camera of the Year in Europe.  It has a 1/2.3", 12 MP BSI-CMOS sensor and DIGIC V processor, a 3" LCD and is very small and light.  I'm pretty sure the sensor and processor are the same as in the SX50HS and SX260HS.  The ELPH 330HS is one of those cases where the parts all came together for an unusually good camera.  Its one drawback is a very slow aperture at 240 mm; but it's only f/3 at 24 mm and it stays pretty fast up to about 150 mm where it gets much slower rather quickly.

The SX220HS is a 2011 model; but also is listed as having a 12 MP BSI-CMOS sensor.  The lens covers 28-392 mm f/3.1-5.9, fairly fast for a Travel Zoom.  Processor is DIGIC IV, and unlike the SX240/260HS it is quite forgiving of bright highlights and resists blowing them out. The SX230HS has GPS and with it, a bump on top of the camera that I think is ugly, and for me, gets in the way.  The SX220/230HS pair definitely have a better lens than the 2012 SX240/260HS.  Probably less of a compromise because of the shorter focal length range.  SX220HS covers 28-392 mm f/3.1-5.9, the SX240HS covers 25-500 mm f/3.5-6.8.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with these older models, along with my S90.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +1 more
Canon PowerShot S90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow