Lens choice for portrait - FA 77 f/1.8 Ltd Vs DA * 50-135 f/2.8

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nimo_or
nimo_or New Member • Posts: 21
Lens choice for portrait - FA 77 f/1.8 Ltd Vs DA * 50-135 f/2.8

Hello,

I am a Pentax and Fuji user (but soon will sell all of my Fuji gears ).  I have been monitoring the forums here but recently registered to share views and get some input from the fellow users.

For portraits, I have been using HD DA 70 f/2.4 with my K3-II so far and at low to medium ISO range, the output and colors are gorgeous. But, I am not getting the creamy background bokeh even though I shoot at maximum aperture. Tried Samyang 85 f/1.4 manuals focus but did not like the output much and also the handheld manual focus was not a pleasant experience.

Now, while hoping for the D FA 85 f/1.4 from Pentax some where in 2019 or 2020 or in the next decade .. . , I would like to add either the FA 77 Ltd or the DA * 50-135 for my portrait shooting needs. What is your recommendation on this ?

I also read about SDM failures in 50-135 lens. Is it still a valid concern ? Has this been fixed by Ricoh/Pentax ?  If I have to be lucky not having a faulty lens irrespective of paying the hard earned cash for that, I would like skip this 50-135 option.

From IQ, Bokeh and AF speed point of view, which lens is better for K5IIs/ K3II ? And, what can be the good option if I get a K1 and use that with K1 ?

PS:

I don't shoot running kids. I shoot senior portraits.

Thanks in advance for your kindness.

-- hide signature --

Depth of Feeling > Depth of Field in photography.

nimo_or's gear list:nimo_or's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +13 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow