New FZ1000 today - and I'm a bit amazed

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Suzatlarge Forum Member • Posts: 95
New FZ1000 today - and I'm a bit amazed

I'm among those who are late to the party with the FZ1000. Snagged an open box copy from B&H which was delivered late yesterday. I agree with all the comments and advice, that I'll be climbing a learning curve for awhile with this camera. However, since I'm deep in the Sony world of complicated menus, this is more like, same song, different verse.

I took the FZ1000 along on some errands today, and grabbed some quick snaps at a shopping mall and later in the grocery store parking lot.

It was very windy and just a bit too cool. Because I'd left my jacket behind (foolish move). Thus, I wasn't up for lingering around outdoors.

I was prepared to be immediately disappointed with this 1" sensor camera, because TBH I'm not in love with my 1" sensor RX100iii.

However, I've now uploaded today's handful of FZ1000 test photos to Lightroom, and wow. This puppy produces some sharp and pleasing images even handheld at maximum 400mm zoom, at least at about 320 ISO. I'm so happy I want to share, lol!!

These are RAW images minimally processed in LR (color balance, a touch of dehaze, white slider a bit to the right) and converted to smaller jpgs for upload. If I can get these shots when I barely know how to work this thing in Aperture priority mode, I think I'm on to something good here!

Widest focal length

Taken when standing at same spot and looking in the same direction as the prior photo, this time zoomed all the way to 400mm (equivalent). Jeepers, you can see the wrinkles in the flag fabric.

Grocery store parking lot, looking across the road to the Greek Orthodox Cathedral, currently enclosed with scaffolding. Zoomed out to widest focal length.

Same location and orientation as the first shot, zoomed in on the dome. People at work. I'm loving the details - not sure how many survived conversion/downsizing for upload but the originals are great.

Fully zoomed in to 400mm, well, just because I could. In the original you can see the red fire extinguisher on the right side about 1/3 of the way down from the top.

I've appreciated all the advice and information I gained from reading a lot of posts on this forum as I decided whether to try this camera. I think it's a lot of bang for the buck!

Suzatlarge's gear list:Suzatlarge's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow