Aperature Priority mode - what's going on?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KeithandAbby Forum Member • Posts: 53
Aperature Priority mode - what's going on?

I have another thread on here about tips on taking photos at a basketball game and it reminded me of a question that I had previously when I was taking shots at a soccer game during the summer. I first tried taking some shots in manual mode with my Nikon D90 with ISO set to 100 (it was a nice, sunny day), aperture at it's widest for the lens of f2.8 (I used a fix 80-200 f2.8 lens), and adjusted the shutter to get the exposure meter to the center. The results were decent shots but they were all kind of colourless. The word I would use to describe the image would be "muted" - the colours were clearly more vibrant in real-life than they were on the camera.

I switched to Aperture Priority and locked the ISO and the resulting pictures were significantly better ('punchier', more vibrant and accurate colours). My question is, is there something going on in the camera on "A" mode other than the camera determining shutter speed (my ISO was locked)?  When I looked at the images in RawTherapee, it said that there was no exposure compensation added.

Curious and a bit confused...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow