Aliasing on Straight Vertical lines with 4k video on A7r3

Started Oct 16, 2018 | Discussions thread
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,842
Re: Aliasing on Straight Vertical lines with 4k video on A7r3

Chester McCheeserton wrote:

As Mike said, this is a moire issue. Your question is unclear though. If you want to avoid moire in the original 4K footage, use an aperture value that puts the problem areas slightly outside of the focus area. A really small aperture, provoking a small amount of diffraction can also help. In some rare cases even a soft filter is used (common in cinematography).

If you want to address moire when downsampling in post, the result can vary a lot depending on compression settings and software used. This is mainly a computational issue.

Thanks, I want to avoid this in the original 4k footage in the future. Hard to believe I'd have to blur it with diffraction, make it of focus in camera, or put a stocking over the lens.

That downsampling link is way over my head, but I did try to read it.

This is a known tradeoff/disadvantage of using a camera with no OLPF.  To achieve maximum resolution/sharpness, the OLPF is removed, but this causes a risk of moire.

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow