How much can A7riii file sizes be reduced?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary payne Contributing Member • Posts: 888
How much can A7riii file sizes be reduced?

Hey Sony FF tribe:

I'm currently an Oly EM1 ii shooter.

The main concern I have over switching to the Sony FF format is file size.  I don't trust the Clouds and don't care to pay rent to them.  My Imac hard drive is already gagging on folders full of shots from the last three decades.  And I'm (finally) pretty handy at PP so I'm not a fan of shooting jpegs either.

But I do want the cropability of the AR7iii shots and I occasionally sell photos up to 48" across when the entire frame is useful.  And I'm eager for better dynamic range.

So... wondering when you shoot in raw with the AR7iii...how much you can reduce the final processed file without doing noticeable damage (I know that's subjective).  If I produced a final jpeg of 8mb - 12mb I might be able to live with those file sizes.  Perhaps sizes could be even lower and still be a substantial improvement over what I'm doing now?

I'm aware that buying the alternative 24mp A7iii body would largely solve this issue but there is quite a difference in resolution between the two.  My current Oly Em1 ii isn't far enough behind the A7iii to make me switch.

Surely some of you ARiii shooters have tried some drastically reduced files in raw processing.  What are your limits and experiences?    Thanks a ton for your advice.

gp

gary payne's gear list:gary payne's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic G85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow