P1000: Possible Problem with Exposure Compensation in Auto Mode

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat Regular Member • Posts: 131
P1000: Possible Problem with Exposure Compensation in Auto Mode

In fact I found two possible issues, the first one confirmed with another P1000 user, the second not yet, waiting for your confirmation.

Issue 1: P1000's Auto Mode will make a night view bright as daytime

Below is P1000's Auto Mode shooting an evening view, in which the exposure duration is automatically set to 1 second, making the sky bright as daytime:

Below is P1000's Scene Mode's "auto scene selector" shooting the same evening view, the auto selector can correctly report that the current scene is "night scene":

Issue 2: A case where P1000's Auto Mode makes trees too dark

The very first time I received my brand-new P1000, I took a shot (see below) outside my bedroom window at noon (me and the camera facing north, the sun being in the south and behind me). What seems wrong is the trees are significantly darker than reality:

Below is the same scene taken from my RedMi 4X phone (a cheap Android phone produced by Xiaomi Corporation) at almost the same time, in which the trees' brightness seems close to reality:

Can anyone confirm Issue 2?

Note: The "Capture date" shown by dpreview.com is wrong - it's not in GMT, but in my local time (China Time). Just consider the hour and minute numbers as your local time, and it'll all make sense: the first two photos were taken at 20:xx in the evening, and the last two photos taken at about 11:30 at noon.

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow