nigelht Senior Member • Posts: 1,861
Re: Do we still "need" fast lenses ?

JimKasson wrote:

Sergio Subrizi wrote:

Considering we have:

sensors with incredible iso performances compared to films

in camera +- 5 stop VR

Auto gain viewfinder

I can only see a shallower depht of field when used wide open as great advantage

at the expense of weight and $$$ ( for the same level of quality)

Do I miss something ?

I'm on your side. I wrote this three years ago:

"Since the film era, both Canon and Nikon have offered a line of lenses aimed at professional photographers and amateurs with similar intent and deep pockets. One of the hallmarks of those lens lines was a constant (unchanging with focal length in zoom lenses) aperture of f/2.8 or faster. There’s the f/2.8 standard zoom trio: 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm....

100 yards from goal to goal.  Call it 30-40 yards shooting average.

200mm is a bit short to fill the frame and 400mm is what you'd want for most shots but 400mm f2.8 is spendy.

If no night or indoor games then yes f4 works well.  Though shooting 1/1000+ on cloudy afternoons late season pushes ISO up a bit.  Some 4-5pm games are pretty dim on unlit fields.  And the less light you have typically the slower the AF.

But but...few people shoot sports!

Uh, who do y'all think were buying all those Costco DSLRs?  Soccer/Ballet/Football moms and dads.  Sure plenty will be using kit zooms to shoot in daylight but I've seen more than a few 70-200 f2.8 and 85 f1.8.  There's one guy used to I bump into every so often that shoots a 200mm f2.

There's always one guy that likes breaking the curve...

nigelht's gear list:nigelht's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5300
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow