Pretty close to buying into the M system

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DanMcG Regular Member • Posts: 224
Pretty close to buying into the M system

So I'm a long time powershot user. I've had my G1X for 4-5 years now and still use it all the time, I love the image quality but the overall operational speed, autofocus, slow lens, etc. feel limiting, especially with the possibility of kids in the near future.

I've spent a LOT of time debating various ILCs and even other fixed lens cameras (G1X II, G7X, Fuji, M4/3, Sony, etc.). I'm now quite sure the M system is right for me based on a number of factors. Probably the most important one is lens pricing... I want to get myself a set of fast primes, and with an EF adapter there are a TON of used EF primes out there that seem perfect. Also, the new EF-M 32mm 1.4 is far cheaper than equivalent Fuji/Sony primes, so if Canon continues to flesh out the M lineup I'll be happy.

I'm going to be renting an M5 for this weekend with the kit 15-45 lens and the 32 1.4. Hoping I fall in love with it, even though the M50 plus the kit lens is realistically the one I'd actually buy for myself.

Couple questions... anyone have experience with the non-Canon EF to EF-M adapters? Are they identical, or do they have limitations? They're probably half the price of the official product.  Also, I'm bad at figuring the equivalence thing. How does the G1X's lens and 1.5" sensor compare to the M with the kit zoom for DoF across the zoom range?

DanMcG's gear list:DanMcG's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow