Synchronize GPS Location by Metadata Criteria in LR 6.14?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SoupOrPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Synchronize GPS Location by Metadata Criteria in LR 6.14?

I just discovered that the wireless app for my Nikon D750 (WMU, not SnapBridge) will add location information to photos but only to the automatically downloaded JPG on my phone. It will not tag the photo in the camera (so I always thought that it simply didn't work).

However, this is not terribly helpful because I do not know an easy way to copy the location information from the phone's JPG to the RAW file. I know how to do it by hand, but I'm hoping there is an easier way to handle a bunch of photos.

What I end up with, after importing the RAW files from the camera and the corresponding JPGs from the phone, are two files with different filenames (and sizes, metadata dates, etc.) but otherwise mostly the same metadata. They seem to have the same "original date and time" but not the same "digitized date and time" or "date and time"

What would be ideal is if there is a way to synchronize the GPS location fields based on "original time" for all files selected. Is there a way to do this? Or a plugin that would do this?

BTW: I have tried a lot of different geo tagging methods using various apps and adding GPS coordinates later--I'm interested in a way to do this as described above with LR (6.14). Obviously, if Nikon were capable of designing adequate smartphone apps, this would not be necessary.

Thanks for any help!

SoupOrPhoto's gear list:SoupOrPhoto's gear list
Nikon D750
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow