Pen-F mushy raw shadows

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LucaPCP Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Pen-F mushy raw shadows

It took me a long time to diagnose it, but this is my best understanding of the issue.

For long time I have noticed that the Pen-F raws generally look better than the ones from the E-M1, with more detail, except in one case. In the mountains, photos of trees, especially firs and Jeffrey pines, look blurry, especially when against a deep blue sky.  The de,arcation between the dark green foliage and the sky is just not sharp. This is not an issue I had with the E-M1.

Now I think I know what is going on. I think the Pen-F compresses the raws, blurring in an attempt at noise reduction the parts that are "underexposed".  The deep blue sky, and the deep green of the Jeffrey pines, are often low in value, and become blurry when compressed.

This is why in spite of the more pixels of the Pen-F compared with the E-M1, photos taken at high altitude with trees don't look as sharp as those taken with the E-M1.

Anyone else noticed the same?

-- hide signature --

Luca

LucaPCP's gear list:LucaPCP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow