A9 + FE400/2.8GM @WTA Tennis Open

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Vincent Kwan Contributing Member • Posts: 687
Re: A9 + FE400/2.8GM @WTA Tennis Open

I formerly used Canon 1DX + 400/2.8 IS II and then Nikon D5 + 400/2.8 FL ED.  From my experience on these three systems, I can say that Sony is the winner.  The most important advantage is the live view.  There are 4 matches per day.  I have to continuously shooting 6-8 hours.  The first 2 hours I see through the viewfinder is no issue.  But after 2-3 hours my eyes will become very tired since I have to follow the players moving drastically.  I only use Live view this time and after 8 hours my eys are still very comfortable.

The second advantage is the face detection in the live view.  When I was using Canon / Nikon, the players face are not that sharp.  But Sony A9 focus on the face and I find that players eyelashes are still sharp.

Final advantage is the speed.  A9 fires at 20 fps.  In before I always missed the tennis ball in the photo since Canon and Nikon is too slow.  But now the successful percentage rise a lot due to the high speed.

Vincent Kwan's gear list:Vincent Kwan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P520 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Df Leica M10 Sony a9 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow