Four Years with M4/3 (and still loving it)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 1,999
Four Years with M4/3 (and still loving it)

I just passed the fourth anniversary with m4/3, and I thought I would share a little stroll down memory lane.

It all started out when I was planning a trip to Italy. My Nikon was too big, and my Panasonic LX7, even though it's a great camera, had a few drawbacks. The sensor was too small, which made for problems at night, and the lens' extending and retracting made it difficult to get candid shots. About a month before the big trip, I bit the bullet and got an EM-10 with the 14-42mm kit lens, the 40-150mm "fantastic plastic", the 45mm f/1.8 and the 25mm f/1.8. Since then, I have added two more bodies and more lenses than I would like to admit.

My m4/3 kit has accompanied me to Italy, to Turkey, Germany, Amsterdam, Budapest, Alaska, and Yellowstone as well as lots of trips to New Orleans. We have traipsed through cities and hiked mountains. We have taken a few tumbles together and endured downpours. We have been splattered with New Orleans street food (the best), gelato and geyser spray.

I love the versatility of my m4/3 gear. I can go out with just a small lens -- usually a prime or the Panny 12-32mm --- and have a kit that fits in a jacket pocket, or I can get decked out with multiple bodies and long lenses when the need arises.

As much as I love looking at the wildlife and macro shots the folks post on this forum, that's not what I shoot. What I love is to shoot candid shots of people, and the small kit really helps to put people at ease.

Here is a random sampling from the past four years.

An unposed shot in Taormina, just a few weeks after I got my camera. Shot with the 14-42mm kit lens.

Carnival in Venice in 2015 with the fantastic plastic 40-150mm (I think)

And let's not forget the diminutive 12-32mm, a wonderfully unobtrusive walkaround lens.

Not a person, but he almost seems like one

I may be the only person who likes this shot. So be it.

At the Albrecht Durer house in Nuremberg. Another totally unposed shot.

Venice in 2017. The 75mm isn't my most frequently used lens, but it's one of my favorites. but some of my favorite pictures are made with it. There's some kind of magic about it.

My friends' grandson, probably about 3 minutes before he ripped off the wig and hat.

Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. Tourist snapshots are okay, too, sometimes.

St. Joseph's Night in New Orleans, one of my perennial favorite and most challenging shooting experiences.

A few final thoughts:

* I am really hoping that Olympus and Panasonic keep some reasonably priced and capable entry level choices. As I recall, I got my starter kit with *four* lenses for around $1200, a few hundred dollars over my budget. I never would have tried m4/3 without an affordable starting point.

* When I started shooting with m4/3 in 2014, some business magazines in the US were predicting that Olympus would exit the camera business by the end of the year. Every year there is some new forecast of gloom and doom, and every year I become less worried about it.

At the end of the day, despite all the talk about FF mirrorless this and that, I am happy with my m4/3 kit. FF is nice. Compacts are nice. But m4/3 strikes the right balance for me.

-- hide signature --

Marie

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow