Am I the only one / mirrorless

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,856
Re: Speaking only for myself....

Fishchris wrote:

T3 wrote:

Fishchris wrote:

williams359 wrote:

I would like a mirrorless camera in the body of the 5D Mark 4 . What I mean by that is I like the size, I like the feel and I like the controls. I would like a mirrorless camera in that body so all my lenses just fit without adapters. I don’t want anything that is smaller and I am very happy with the weight . Am I the only one or do you all want it to be smaller and lighter than the current 5d range

I still see no reason whatsoever, to own a mirrorless camera regardless of features or specs. I'm convinced that mirrorless is fantastic for manufacturers (cheaper, and easier to produce, higher profit margins) but not much benefit for most photographers, and definitely not for me.

I think photographers in the future will look back at DSLRs with amusement at how limited and comparatively primitive their technology was. In the future, when most photographers are using mirrorless cameras, they will see DSLRs lacking in many of the features that they now take for granted as "normal":

• real-time exposure preview
  • having a live histogram in the viewfinder
  • face/eye AF
  • being able to punch into a scene with focus magnification to check focus accuracy
  • focus points that aren't just clustered in the center of the viewfinder
  • viewfinders that never black out during shooting
  • having a camera be able to identify a specific face and the camera prioritizes autofocus on that particular face

In fact, these features are features that mirrorless cameras already have. And many, if not all, of these features are of considerable benefit to many photographers. Focus point coverage, alone, is a big improvement! Here's the meager focus point coverage of a 5D MKIV:

Here's the focus point coverage of the Nikon Z6 and Sony A7 III (I can't find a similar image for the EOS R's AF point coverage):

There's obviously a huge difference in focus point coverage. This results in photographers having to do far less focus-lock-recompose, and allows better tracking of subjects throughout the image frame. Let's face it, focus-lock-recompose is a pain, and it's the ultimate form of shooting "lag".

But you have shown a list of bells and whistles which really won't make much, if any difference to my type of shooting.

I can hear you telling me that this is just me... But I think their are a lot of people out there who primarily shoot landscapes, and won't use most of those features either.

Especially the focus points. It would seem a shame to have hundreds of focus points, and to just turn them all off except the center point, as that is what I like to do with my 6D. I assume you can still do that with these mirrorless cameras right ?

The only thing I really need is more MP's, and I can get that with a 5Ds or if I were dreaming, a D850... As it is, I can get more MP's than either of these with stitches from my old 6D ☺️

I think you're just ignoring many of the benefits of mirrorless. For example, I have two Canon tilt-shift lenses ((24mm TS-E and 45mm TS-E) that I use for landscape and architectural photography. I find EVF focus peaking and focus magnification very helpful for use with these lenses. I also use these lenses with reverse tilt, which creates a very unique focus plane that allows you to have very specific areas of an image in focus. The effect looks like this (not my image):

Again, EVF focus peaking and focus magnification are very helpful for this kind of shooting. You can punch into the image and see exactly what's in focus, and focus peaking allows you to see the areas of sharpness throughout the entire image.

For landscape photography, graduated ND filters are also a lot easier to work with when using mirrorless cameras since you are looking through the EVF with the lens at its shooting aperture (ie. stopped down), but without the darkened view that you normally get with an OVF. When you look through an EVF, even when the camera is stopped down to f/11, you're still seeing the image as it will appear when exposed. At f/11 on a DSLR, you're looking at a very dark viewfinder! And it's really difficult to see the gradient line of graduated ND filters.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow