Great Experience with a D750

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KLH475 Contributing Member • Posts: 844
Great Experience with a D750

Greetings All!

I've been shooting for about a year with a D3300 and have learned a lot shooting with this camera. Recently I purchased a Nikon 105mm micr0 (macro) lens and was not paying attention when I bought it and failed to notice it was a full frame lens. I struggle to get focus with this lens on the D3300 - I miss focus on most shots - this is handheld - though I do get some really good ones that with a bit of post-processing I can tailor to my taste.

Yesterday, Mike's Camera here in Sacramento had a Rent a Camera for Free event at the Sacramento Zoo - they had pretty much every camera from every manufacturer and you could "rent" any camera for an hour. I have been trying to decide on buying a full frame and have it narrowed down to a D610 or D750. I don't shoot sports and I don't shoot video and both cameras seem pretty comparable. The advantage of the D750 is the tilting screen and my aging knees can no longer tolerate constant crouching low.

I wanted to see how the Nikon 105mm micro worked in it's native environment on a full frame and I "rented" - for free - an hour with the D750 and mounted the Nikon 105mm on it and was blown away by a few things:

* how light the D750 felt - even at 13 ounces heavier than the D3300 it felt very light and manageable and great in my hands

* it felt great with the Nikon 105mm on it - and it is a heavy lens. It was very manageable - much more so than on the D3300 - that really surprised me - and it was what I was hoping!

* Every photo - whether close-up or general scenery - was much better than I am used to on the D3300. It is a great lens for general photography as well as macro photography. The focusing on the D750 is amazing and it really made the 105mm work way better.

Here's a general photo taken of a hanging leaf on a tree with the flamingo pond behind it (the pink dots are the flamingos!). I'll be waiting for the holiday season to determine if I will take the plunge and go full frame.

Thanks!!

Ken

KLH475's gear list:KLH475's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 +5 more
Nikon D3300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow