very short commentary on 200-500

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SamNC Contributing Member • Posts: 533
very short commentary on 200-500

If anyone was curious about the 200-500 f/5.6.....

I "had" to get this lens, as my 80-200 f/2.8 is not long enough to photograph my son's baseball game, in part due to the fact that I can't get field access.  Shot with D500.  Some comments:

1. IQ:  from what I am seeing so far (still going through my photos) they look great.  Far better than what you should expect with a f/5.6 zoom.  IQ seems good in entire range, although I didn't need to go past 400 that much.

2. AF:  Faster than my 80-200 f/2.8.  Was shooting in daylight.

3. CA:  My 80-200 f/2.8 has tons of CA at f/2.8, which can be lightroomed out.  No CA here.

4.  Ergonomics: It is really big and can be cumbersome.  I wish the zoom ring was better designed, as zooming in/out is a pain.  But, it does balance well on my D500.

More photos will be coming.  For me, the 200-500 was my pick over the 300 f/4E (or older F/4 models) since I wanted length and the zoom flexibility.  Overall, I have no complaints.  Will post some images in sports section this week.

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow