How good is the G9 at High ISO ?

Started Oct 15, 2018 | Discussions thread
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,930
Re: Using the studio-scene comparison...

Re:  "I've never found the OOC jpegs from the G series to be that great..." but I see you do not own a G9, and (as the review states) the OOC JPEGs on the G9 are substantially improved - better color accuracy mostly - compared to previous G series cameras.

Re: "mainly too much NR is applied to hide the inherit noise from m43 sensors. I'd rather see the noise (and the detail). So you do need to turn NR to minimum - but even then too much NR is applied IMO. The sharpening radius is rather crude also."  You definitely should be shooting RAW + JPEG fine.  Then, if the JPEG is good, wonderful; use it.  If you decide to develop from RAW so that the noise reduction and sharpening will be to your taste, you can do that.

Re: "In fact ISO 800 (and shooting raw) is my limit for ok quality."   You are, of course, entitled to that opinion.

Re: "Really I find you need to shoot at ISO 200 or maybe 400 if you want good quality (i.e. detail retention). ISO 3200 is never going to be a strong point for a fairly small sensor! I would avoid it at all costs."   Well I think that is overly harsh, especially for the G9.  Although perhaps it applies to OOC JPEGs more than to raw.   While it is certainly true that a 20MP m43 sensor will have slightly more noise than a 24MP APS sensor, the Fuji T3 has significantly more noise at its highest ISOs than the the T2. See the review. They think it's because the readout electronics are faster.

So my opinion - which nobody asked for - is that up to ISO 800 is usually fine (don't underexpose, if you can avoid it); 1600 and 3200 are recoverable from raw but - as the basketball pictures show - if looked at at 100% you will see remaining noise; the person who developed those ISO 3200 images clearly did not trade aware resolution by getting rid of all the noise.  I'd make the same judgment for ISO 3200, I think.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow