Recommendations for a small external mic for the M50?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
Recommendations for a small external mic for the M50?

I haven't actually got my M50 yet, I'm assessing external mic options for casual family videos.

I actually have a Rhode VideoMicro that I use for my Sony RX10 and am very satisfied with it, but I'm hoping that I may be able to get away with something even smaller so I can keep my M50 kit really compact.

I also plan on using the M50 with a small gimbal, and any additional weight saved over the VideoMicro could help with some lenses.

I see some people using mics like the tiny Edutige ETM-001 with a right-angle 3.5mm adapter with good results. I imagine it would be better to mount a mic on the shoe though rather than to the side of the camera - I'm not sure if there is a way to do this?

Notice they even have a windscreen - but it seems very expensive for a tiny piece of fluff!

I'm not sure how good the M50's internal mics are in comparison to these tiny external mics though. From images of the camera it looks like they face forward, which is a good start (my RX10 mics are on the top of the camera). But generally I favour external mics for reducing lens and camera handling noise.

I'd really appreciate any feedback from M series users on using tiny mics like the ETM-001 and mounting them to the camera - and how they compare with the built in mics.

Thanks.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow