Starting out and getting out of auto mode help

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,060
Re: Starting out and getting out of auto mode help

John Photo wrote:

Tony Beach wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

Also, just shoot JPEG to start. RAW files offer greater flexibility, but concentrate on the basics first. Opinions will differ on this.

I will differ with this. I see photography (as opposed to taking pictures) to be as much about working the file as in taking the file. Indeed, my experience was that as I learned more about processing my files into photographs I learned more about what I should be doing before I pressed the shutter button.

Have to differ with you, Tony. Photography is using a camera system to capture an image.

Let me introduce you to Ansel Adams:

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance."

“Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.”

“You don't take a photograph, you make it.”

I guess you would say he was a "darkroom jockey."

As for me, I find your misplaced sense of superiority amusing in a sardonic way. Let me introduce you to some of what I've been doing lately:

http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/fouryearswiththed800

Some are practically SOOC (straight out of the camera) and a few required quite a bit more attention than that.

You want to challenge me to a shootout with one hand tied behind my back? I can do that, and back when I was starting out I used a D70 with manual focus lenses and had to figure how to set the exposure without a meter with those lenses because they were non-chipped, but I don't run around telling people they should do that in order to become better photographers.

Any of the following could be SOOC:

My version is in the link above.

Why would I want to be stuck with just one, or any of them for that matter when I know that if I get the exposure and composition right I can tweak the file to get the photo I have in my mind's eye rather than whatever the camera delivered?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Footski
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow