Deleting photos in-camera.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ms18
ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Deleting photos in-camera.

i have read in few places that deleting pictures within camera is a bad practice and it may cause data corruption. While I've never done that in the past after moving to Fuji I delete photos in-camera vigorously and leave only the keepers. I'm doing this for like two months. No problem so far. But this is short time to make conclusions.

Why I delete photos in-camera?

1) My canon didn't have Wi-fi so I had to take the card for every trivial shoot. Now I have a issue with card door and get a write protection error. In my opinion failing a card is better than failing the SD card compartment in the camera. I understand loosing images can be disastrous for many. But for me no.

In camera deleting does reduce the frequency of taking card out this give longevity to camera card compartment. I'm in Sri Lanka where no one sell or service Fuji camera. So failing card compartment like canon would be a big problem for me.

I don't delete in-camera in paid works. Because any way I need to take the card out that day to edit them. I seldom do paid work,  Typically I delete bad picture in-camera and let the card filled with just keepers (some time this can take few weeks even a month) and then take the card out transfer to pc. Meanwhile I take jpg via wi-fi

2) My PC is 6 years old and it's not very powerful. So it's difficult to navigate with many raw files cluttered. When I travel it's easy to delete failed shots in camera so I don't need to waste time sorting in pc in home. Typically I'll be busy when I reach home after trips. So in the trips I can use my free time to delete failed or bad pictures.

What's your take on this?

-- hide signature --
 ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow