Two 6D shutter failures?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
babythunder New Member • Posts: 7
Two 6D shutter failures?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but not new to Canon DSLRs. I've shot for several years with Canon bodies, both crop sensor and full frame. I've been using a 6D this summer to shoot weddings as an assistant.

Yesterday at a wedding, I was shooting with my 6D with a Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD lens. All of a sudden a shutter blade was stuck down in a diagonal position. I assumed the shutter just went bad. I called a friend, who let me use her 6D so I could continue shooting the wedding. I shot for about 10 minutes on her camera with the same Tamron lens, and the same thing happened again to her camera. So now I have two 6D cameras with stuck shutter blades. I talked to Canon and they suggested a couple of things, but ultimately said I'll have to send in the cameras to be repaired.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have caused this? Could the lens have something to do with it? There is nothing sticking off it that would have gotten stuck in the shutter. But what are the odds of shutter failure happening on two 6d cameras within hours of each other? Any ideas? I am befuddled.

For reference, the weather was about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I was shooting outside both times but had been inside maybe 10 minutes before. The cameras were not sitting in the cold. I believe both were purchased around the same time in 2014. My camera has 32,000 and my friend said hers has about the same.

Canon EOS 6D Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow