Circle of Confusion - confusion

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,554
Circle of Confusion - confusion

On the later Fujifilm bodies we have two choices for the DoF indicator - one based on the old "film" CoC of 0.02mm and one based on a "pixel" level (which I think from past observations the CoC value is 0.005mm). Now, I assume this "pixel" level is related to the pixel size on the sensor (though I don't think the CoC has changed between 16MP and 24MP). But my confusion is that surely it's not the pixel size on the sensor that matters in choosing CoC, but the "pixel / dot" size on the viewing medium / distance that determines when a blur becomes a point to our eyes. For example on my 13" 3200x1600 QHD screen, the pixels are so small that an image element that would look blurred on my 22" HD screen, looks so sharp that I could possibly even choose a larger CoC!

So here's my question: Why do DoF calculators and the Fujifilm display bar for DoF assume fixed values for CoC based on the sensor size and pixels, because surely that's not the factor that determines when a point looks sharp or burred to the eye on the output medium? Are these DoF calculations based on the sensor / camera almost pointless? What am I missing in this analysis?

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Canon G9 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow