Sweet impressions - K-1/Lensbaby Composer Pro II with Sweet 50 optics

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 8,634
Sweet impressions - K-1/Lensbaby Composer Pro II with Sweet 50 optics

They are sure a matter of taste - those Lensbaby optics - but I do think one can have fun with them. A recently acquired Lensbaby Composer Pro II with a Sweet 50 optic - offering a focal length of 50mm with a sweet spot in the middle and lots of interesting bokeh around that - got me experimenting yesterday and today with my K-1. That sweet spot expands if you stop down BTW, and the Composer Pro allows you to place it almost anywhere in the frame.

I opened the aperture most times very wide, IIRC it was between f2.5 and f4.0 for all pictures shown here.

Let's start with some "classic" ones with a sharp sweet spot somewhere in the frame.

A backlit sunflower:

Berries of a dog rose - note the really excellent sharpness in the middle of the sweet spot (see it in original size):

Autumn leaves:

Now for something a little different - since the Sweet 50 minimal focusing distance is limited I added a short extension tube for the next two shots. First some backlit red leaves:

And then a flower bud (well, yes, focus could be a little more to the front of those pistils, but IMO it overall looks good anyway):

And now for something completely different: if you de-focus the Sweet 50 intentionally you get very nice abstract swirls and patterns which I really find interesting, like this picture of a treetop:

Or this impressionistic sunflower - achieved with tilting and some rather slight de-focusing:

A violet / pink flower bush, created tilting the lens to the upper right and de-focusing strongly:

Another shrub - here I tilted the lens downwards and again applied strong de-focusing:

Hope you like those!

Phil

-- hide signature --
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow