Struggling with color grading of Sony α7 III...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lélé Regular Member • Posts: 368
Struggling with color grading of Sony α7 III...

Hello,

Disclaimer:

*purpose of this thread is not to start a sterile brand war*

I'm still in a learning period and seeking for advices to I can adapt my workflow to a new camera/system.

Context:

I'm new to the Sony α7 III.

I'm running the Sony system in parallel of a Fujifilm System (Fujifilm X-T2 and now XT3).

With the Fujifilm, I used to use the Provia (standard), Velvia (vivid), Astia (soft/portrait) and Classic Chrome 'film simulations' (those are basically color presets) as a starting basis, depending on the subject and mood. I also appreciate the 'Color Chrome Effect' of the X-T3 which boost certain colors (red, orange, yellow and yellow-green) under certain circonstances.

With the Sony, I start to use Capture One Pro 11, with Generic Sony α7 III color profile and 'Film standard curve' or 'Film high contrast curve'. I use a lot the skin tone color tool to normalize skin tones hue, saturation and lightness.

Problems:

I struggle to get pleasant skin tones from the Sony files.

I like a lot how the Fujifilm color presets deal with skins tones. I noticed the following:

• They add  a lot of lightness to caucasian skin tones,
  • They add some saturation and slight shift toward orange to most caucasian skin tones, except the brightest or pinkiest ones,
  • They lessen saturation of the brightest or pinkiest caucasian skin tones,
  • They add a noticeable shift toward orange to black/brown skin tones and make also make them darker.

I tried to reproduce that with Capture One Pro Skin tones control, but failed. In particular, I struggle to introduced that slight shift toward orange (hue control is no help for that), plus even playing with the lightness slider and lightness normalization slider I could not get the same flattering effect the Fujifilm presets produce (notably reducing the shadows/contrast on skin tones).

Besides that, I'm not happy with the colors I get. They lack some 'vividness'/density and playing with saturation slider or applying selective color correction does not produce the result I want.

Request:

May you have suggestion or color grading tutorial oriented toward Sony camera that may help?

Thanks!

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow