Issue re: Nikon 85 1.4D performance on D810

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jinn1 New Member • Posts: 3
Issue re: Nikon 85 1.4D performance on D810

Hello all. New to the forum. My 85 1.4D has been a go-to lens of mine for years -- portraits and landscapes, about what you'd expect. The results on my Nikon film cameras and on my D3 were magical, as far as I was concerned, and it's been a reliable companion on assignments for ages (print magazines).

I've been shooting it on a D810 for some time now and, for lack of a better term, I can't seem to get "magical" results with it anymore. I used to achieve a sort of 3D quality in certain light conditions and I can no longer do that; the sharpness seems not as defined somehow, subject separation not as crisp; and there's a certain je ne sais quoi missing from the portraits. Love my D810 and have achieved great results with other lenses, but a former crown jewel has lost its luster.

Is this to do with the higher mp count somehow? Is it a focus calibration issue of some kind? A software or sensor update in newer Nikons that doesn't play nice with the lens...? In the field and in the studio, on the fly or in carefully controlled conditions with every setting tweaked to perfection, I just can't get the A+ results I used to achieve with it, and I'm puzzled. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and perspective.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow