5D vs. 5DSR Focusing Speed

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ttbek Senior Member • Posts: 4,834
5D vs. 5DSR Focusing Speed

Am I crazy, or does the original 5D focus faster than the 5DSR?  I first noticed it when my Tamron 15-30 was damaged by someone I lent it to and I was trying to see if there was something wrong with the focus.  It seemed a bit slow on the 5DSR, so I tested it on the 5D and it was much faster.  So I wasn't sure what to make of that, chalked it up to being a 3rd party issue.  I've now tried a few more lenses, including other 3rd party lenses like the Sigma 180mm, and 50mm, as well as Canon native lenses like the 400mm f/5.6 and 400mm f/2.8.   It seems to me like the 5DSR is a bit slower with all of them.  In some sense this is understandable, maybe it needs to move a bit slower to nail down a good enough focus for the high pixel density, so I would maybe have expected it to be slower than the 5DIV or 5DIII, maybe even the II, but I'm a little surprised to find that I might be better off birding with my original 5D than the 5DSR.

The 5DSR is pretty good most of the time, but it seems a hair slower sometimes I would want with my 400s, and I was almost getting to the point of blaming the lenses.  I mean, it's good for all but the most challenging of cases.  But those are the cases these 400s are famous for handling.

Do others have the same experience or is my 5DSR maybe not working 100% correctly?  I don't think there is anything wrong with it though.

Single point CAF in both cases.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow