Canon M50 with EF lenses

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: Canon M50 with EF lenses

LeShaun wrote:

Hi there,

I've just recently bought the Canon EOS M50 with the kit lens. However given its limited aperture ability (widest f-stop is 3.5), I was thinking of getting some prime lenses. I have done some research and I'm really conflicted.

I usually use my camera for casual photos (for social media) and travel photos. Sometimes I take some travel videos but mostly B-rolls not so much vlogging. Casually, I like taking portraits of people and objects, night photos and some scenic photos while touring the city for example. While traveling I also take scenic photos and a slightly different portrait (as in I like to include more environment). For example, if I'm in Paris then I'd like to take a portrait of someone with the Eiffel Tower at the back or if I'm in London, I'd take a portrait where the big ben, although blurry, but still visible at the back. I also enjoy taking bokeh picture, especially at night with blurred out bubbly, round lights in the background.

1. Given the APS-C sensor and considering the crop factor, I'm wondering if the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM would be a good option with this camera? I understand that because of the crop factor this essentially becomes an 80mm lens which may not be suitable for taking travel pictures with more location information like the Eiffel Tower I mentioned? What are your thoughts?

This is a good option for portraits, but not so much for environmental portraits. It is very good at f/2.8. It is soft wider open.

2. I'm also considering getting a third party adapter like MEIKI or FOTODIAZ etc. And I'm wondering if third-party adapters are even advisable?

Some reported here about negative impact on IQ from third party adapters. A pre owned Canon adapter might be the best option.

3. I'm only starting my hobby on photography in general and I'm looking to improve later on. Thus I'm more inclined to options that give me that room to grow. This is why I'm considering EF lenses with an adapter which eventually allows me access to the whole range of Canon lenses. Though I've heard that the EF-M 22mm pancake lens is good too.

I am not sure if you will be happier with an aps-c dslr than with a M50. Of course you can upgrade to full frame, but these lenses are often a bit more expensive.

In short, I basically need advice on whether the nifty 50 is a good option to consider or should I go with the EF-M 22mm. Also is it ok to get third-party adapters?

50mm is a good option, but NOT a good all round option. It is not versatile for environmental portraits.

I'm a student on a tight budget so preferably nothing more than £200 or £300. What are your thoughts and do you have any recommendations?

If you need as much as possible in one lens the 35mm f/2.0 IS USM is a good option. It is usable on the R, on full frame and aps-c dslrs and on the M line. There is a relative large aperture for blurred backgrounds. I like the blur of this lens. It is more nice than from the 50mm f/1.8 stm. 35mm is not too tight for having some environment in the frame. But it might leaving you wanting wider at times.

Wider is the advantage for the 22mm f/2.0. I would advice you to try which focal length suites you the best and consider this as the most important decision factor. This lens gives less blur as it is wider, it is sharp, but the IQ of the 35mm IS USM is nicer in my opinion. There is no IS on the 22mm. If you like night shots and don't have a tripod, that is a big disadvantage. You use it only on the M, but that might not be so important as the M50 or a future M camera could be able to satisfy your needs. And once you decide to have another camera it is still nice to keep the M50 with this 22mm as this lens gives you the truly benefit of a M-camera: it is compact.

The 32mm f/1.4 is seems to be a very good lens.... but i would wait as i expect the price to drop a bit.

like the Eiffel Tower

Don't know the distance and angle, but it sounds like 22mm is better than 35mm or 32mm.   

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow