X-T3: what are the benefits and/or drawbacks of new EF shutter?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Exit10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,116
Re: X-T3: what are the benefits and/or drawbacks of new EF shutter?

owenb wrote:

baobob wrote:

https://www.understandphotography.com/front-and-rear-curtain-sync-on-your-flash/

explains very well the use of rear or front curtain

The EF options only allows front curtain but allows very high speeds without flash (flash sync max is 1/250 sec

So iof you need second curtain in flash photo you set MS and in the flash setting second curtain

1/*250 sec is rather slow however for very fast action hence the ES after 1/8000 sec without flash of course This is most useful for sports indoors where you need very high speed and no flash

Thanks, but this is about using flash, and when the flash goes off - on the front curtain, or the rear curtain. I know about this

Again, what I'm curious about is the EF mode on the camera itself. Not using with flash, just using for taking photos.

There may be other differences but the quality of the bokeh at high shutter speed is worse using EF than MS and ES at the same shutter speed.

You can see the effect here with the camera manually focussed, on a tripod and the only difference being the shutter type.

Exit10's gear list:Exit10's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow