Will the control ring be on all RF lenses?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,715
Will the control ring be on all RF lenses?

There's this nagging doubt in the back of my head that has me questioning whether all RF lenses will have the control ring. It's been bugging me since they announced the R and I can't remember exactly where or why that dealt started. It's possible it came from this quote...

All four new RF lenses feature a customizable control ring that allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture or ISO.

Source: https://m.dpreview.com/news/0967290858/canon-full-frame-mirrorless-system-launches-with-four-rf-mount-lenses

In that quote they said: "all four new RF lenses" when they could have said something like "all RF lenses" or "these and all future RF lenses". And if Canon's very specific word choices hadn't led me to believe things in the past that turned out not to be the case, I don't think I'd have this doubt.

Can anyone else remember something that they heard or read which indicated that it's possible that all RF lenses might not have the ring?

I feel like I need to come to a conclusion about this now if I'm going to continue keeping an eye on this system. The lack of 3 dials on the body bothers me as I assign one dial to SS, aperture, and ISO, typically. But if all RF lenses will have the ring, then I only need 2 dials. And I like consistency. I have a couple of Sony lenses with the "focus hold" button and I literally never use it because my other lenses don't have that button.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with this!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow