Sensor speculation Z6.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CuriousB Regular Member • Posts: 144
Sensor speculation Z6.

From what we know the Z7 sensor is based on the D850 with obvious changes and tweaks.  
What we don't know, other than megapixels and OSPDAF points, is what kind of a beast the Z6 sensor will be.  We can look at the performance of Nikon's d750, d610, DF, etc... and gather that Nikon knows how to design a great 24 megapixel sensor (regardless of who it is that fabricates it in the end).
Nikon have said that the Z6 sensor is all new from the ground up (which for some reason seems to get little mention), and while we will know more about it's capabilities in about a month or so, I can't help but wonder what we are going to get out of it.  Putting aside that downsampling a Z7 image might negate any ISO advantage, I'm wondering how far can the Z6 actually be pushed and still retain good image quality.  It seems that the Z7 is pretty good up to 12,800 so can we expect a stop more with the Z6?  For me, that would be quite amazing.  I'm quite comfortable using my D610 up to its native ISO 6400, so getting an additional 2 stops of usable range, with an additional stop of native range in a pinch, is quite alluring.
I wonder, too, how will the DR and color fidelity be.  Is the sensor's architecture mirroring what's going on with the Z7, or could there be some special sauce or possible flies in the ointment?  Given, too, that Nikon hasn't made as much of a splash about creating an all new sensor for the Z6, if Nikon might have held back a touch to protect the more expensive camera.

Any thoughts?

Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow