My expericence with the A7R3 and thr Tamron 28-75

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kvken Regular Member • Posts: 241
My expericence with the A7R3 and thr Tamron 28-75

I was able to pick up a tamron at a local dealer two weeks ago. I was very happy with the sharpness of the lens. I did however run into some focusing issues that I want to share with you.

My first day with the lens I had a natural light indoor shoot. The was enough light to let me shoot around 400iso 100th and f3.2. I started noticing that with face detect as I moved towards the edge of the frame the focus system would begin to hunt. It was fine as long as I didn't compose her face toward any edge of the frame. I did some tests to see what was going on. I found a very high contrast area of a door frame something that should be very easy to focus on. I set the focus mode to single frame expandable spot set to small. I found that this setup would hunt every focus point around the last row of the focus points all four sides. It was Ok on about 75% of the focus points one row towards the center. It was 100% for all other points.

The following Monday I returned to the camera store and showed them what I had found. They had another lens and we tried it with the same results. I decided to return the lens. The lens was great as long as I didn't push the focus point towards the edge. My 24-105 and my 85 has no problems with the same test.

I'm not trying to convince anyone not to get this lens ans it would be fine in most cases. It just didn't work for. To be clear it would find focus after hunting for 3/4 of a second.

kvken's gear list:kvken's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow