DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,159
Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroo vs CaptureOne

Digital Nigel wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

One of the reasons I like DxO is that I don't need to deal with the complexity of layers. A few tweaks here and there and you're done. Though, the lack of layers means that things like you want aren't available and more sophisticated techniques are out of reach.

It looks to me to be a classic trade off - simple and fast vs sophisticated and slow(er). Since the vast majority of my editing is simple, DxO works well for me.

By the way, I think (though am not 100% sure) that DxO operations are order invariant. I.E., you get the same result no matter what order you apply them in.

That's correct, though it makes sense to adjust exposure before smart lighting, etc.

I now have a fast enough machine that the extra time taken for PRIME is insignificant, so I've changed my default preset to make PRIME my normal default. It makes editing even quicker, as I have so little I need to change from the default in most images. Including straightening and cropping, it's under a minute editing time per image, and they process in under half a minute, even with PRIME.

Yeah, there are clearly things you should do first.  Lighting and WB spring to mind. Also, all global before local. And, since it happens at export, NR happens last.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow