DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,791
Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroo vs CaptureOne

phil from seattle wrote:

Zeee wrote:

I had to step out. I know I would never edit event photography using DXO. I did an engagement shoot about 3 weeks ago. After a break you go back and look at some images you spot something else. With a history stack it is so easy to tweak.

One of the reasons I like DxO is that I don't need to deal with the complexity of layers. A few tweaks here and there and you're done. Though, the lack of layers means that things like you want aren't available and more sophisticated techniques are out of reach.

It looks to me to be a classic trade off - simple and fast vs sophisticated and slow(er). Since the vast majority of my editing is simple, DxO works well for me.

I doubt I'll ever say say DXO is more sophisticated. Since LR added Sensei, after import I can export a completely edited file in about under seconds, if I want to. You can match ClearView using Dehaze. I just did one and it took 23 seconds to have a files on the desktop.

I 'll have admit it took a while (evolution over time) to get to that in bits and pieces. One thing I didn't like about DXO when I first tried it about 10 years ago is how it took over. I had my own workflow with PS and preferred to do most edits myself. DXO has it's strengths and weaknesses compared to LR but I think the major factor is LR is missing an AI NR option. I got Topaz AI Clear which is good but slow and locks everything up while doing it's thing. I only use other NR about 10% of the time.

By the way, I think (though am not 100% sure) that DxO operations are order invariant. I.E., you get the same result no matter what order you apply them in.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow