Another damn one of those which lens posts.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FallenLeaf Photography
FallenLeaf Photography Regular Member • Posts: 362
Another damn one of those which lens posts.

Tally ho, all.  As each day goes by I get a day closer to heading off to hike the pacific crest trail, walking from Mexico to Canada (~2560+ miles, 702 desert, 300 Sierra Nevada, the rest in various styles of woods and subalpine to alpine forest and volcanic lands), with my Oly EM5ii in hand.  I've gone through a few notions of lens choice, as as much as people will reply with suggestions for more than one lens, I am really stuck in a position where I expect to ONLY carry one lens.  With landscapes this isn't necessary a hard decision, but a big part of my project is documenting the culture of people who leave their lives behind for this crazy ass adventure, which means a range of shots I'm looking for will include some street/documentary and portrait style work.  For most of these, I think a 12-40 pro would be an easy choice, but I wonder at it's portrait capacity.  For those who use it, do you feel that at 40mm 2.8 this can give you at least a bit of DoF control (not worried about bokeh but some decent subject separation for subject focus and artistic effect) and non-problematic curves before post?  If you feel that 12-40 would be very limiting for this, do you have a high quality piece of glass you would suggest to take its place? EMPHASIS ON NOT being added to it.  One lens only (otherwise I already have a more portrait acceptable piece I'll bring with me, or at least a whole additional realm of GAS based torture to go over) is what I'm trying to find.  The 12-100 is technically an option, but the weight and cost, with more limited aperture make me hesitate.  Is there a good option out there, or am I pretty limited to sacrificing on some potential without adding a second lens?
Thanks as always folks.

FallenLeaf Photography's gear list:FallenLeaf Photography's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Canon EOS M6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow