Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 3,360
Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

phil from seattle wrote:

bsas wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Oh right. sidecars. I hate sidecars.

Why?

As a software developer, I can tell you that sidecars are far better than a database catalog for a list of reasons:

1) It is an standard XML file (you can actually open in notepad to read it if you are curious). This allows other software to read it. In my case, for example, all my stars and ratings were kept when I switched from LR to DxO just because of the LR sidecar files.

2) It is completely decoupled. If your LR database gets corrupted, you loose ALL your edits on ALL your photos. With sidecard files, if one gets destroyed you just loose that specific edit.

3) It is easy to backup and sync with cloud or external hard drives, including NAS systems, like in my case.

4) Easy to "undo" all your edits. Just delete the sidecar file

beat me to it. A central DB is a huge risk. Files don't usually get corrupted on their own but it just takes one hiccup during writing to a central DB. Better to lose one edit that all. Other than directory "clutter", I see no disadvantage to sidecars.

Bingo.

I think he just doesn't understand what they are.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow