Sony A7III vs Fuji X-T3 - I want to hate the Sony but... Locked

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Smiller4128 Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Sony A7III vs Fuji X-T3 - I want to hate the Sony but...

I’m seeing a few of these threads pop up and figured I’d throw my two cents in for whatever it’s worth. I picked up a Fujifilm X-T3 after selling my X-T2. I think the upgrade in the AF - especially Eye AF - is fantastic and worth the upgrade alone! I can’t say I can really tell the difference in the upgrade Viewfinder resolution, but I do appreciate it none the less that they included it. The Fuji X-T3 is a solid camera and does the Fujifilm brand justice in my opinion. I’m not going to sit here and knock it for it’s lack of IBIS because I knew it didn’t have it going into buying it. I think it’s silly to know a camera doesn’t have a certain feature, but it, then complain why it doesn’t have that feature you were looking for...

Anyways, in the back of my mind, I’ve always wondered about Full-Frame. Again, in my opinion, Full Frame has a certain “look” to it that APS-C cameras don’t and I can’t even say what it is exactly. There’s just something “more” to the images they produce. Anyways, I had the chance to purchase a used A7III for a decent price with peace of mind that I can try it for a month and if I don’t like it, I can return it no problems. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought it along with the Zeiss 55mm f1.8. I figured I could shoot it side by side with my X-T3 and 35mm f1.4 to compare the two. And fortunately, I had a shoot this past Sunday that gave me the opportunity to do just that. Now I will preface this by saying, I was (and maybe still am) hoping that I’d just try shooting with the Sony A7III and just not care for it and return it...unfortunately I’m having quite a crisis now.

I still prefer to shoot with the X-T3. To me, it’s the ultimate camera in handling, ergonomics, & button placement. I’ve also come to REALLY enjoy the film simulations. I’ve gotten some really good photos from those film simulations that just can’t be achieved SOOC on any other brand. But when it comes to RAW images, I guess I’ve been “ok” with the output but never blown away. Perhaps I need to look into Irident X to help make my images “pop” more? Perhaps someone can give me advice on that?

Anyways, I shot with them both and came to find that I couldn’t really hate the Sony as much as I wanted. I have yet to go through and develop my RAW images but obviously right out of the gate the Sony does better in low-light, but not by much. The X-T3 has REALLY closed the gap. I don’t think I care too much about Dynamic Range either. I try to get my lighting just right before taking the photo and might adjust exposure by 1 or my highlights by 1-3 depending on the look I’m going for. I don’t think + or - 1 or 2 stops of Dynamic Range will really affect that right?

I also knew the Sony had a bigger battery going in but knowing and experiencing it during a long Shoot is quite different. In what was quite nice not having to worry about checking my battery level constantly. And the feel, ergonomics, and menu system of the Sony really aren’t THAT bad, Fuji still gets it done better but it’s not that bad. And the Sony’s IBIS is quite nice of course. At the very least, it will minimize any camera shake introduced by my hands.

I feel like I’m rambling now but I actually liked using the Sony more than I thought I would and I was very impressed with the photos I took (JPEG anyways) I certainly did see the “look” I mentioned earlier that comes from Full Frame and I like it quite a bit.

Im struggling now to decide what I want to do and which camera/brand I want to go with. I really love my Fuji X-T3 and my collection of lenses (16mm f1.4, 23mm f2, 35mm f1.5, 35mmf2, 50mm f2, 56mm f1.2, 18-55mm f2.8-4.0, & 16-55mm f2.8) It would be somewhat difficult to switch systems, I know that but Fuji’s starting to make some quite expensive pieces of glass. I’d like to get the 8-16mm f2.8 but it’s very expensive and I can only imagine how much the 33mm f1.0 lens will be...for those prices I feel like I may as well be buying Full Frame glass. If I were to jump ship to Sony though, I’d have to get the new 24mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, and maybe either the 24-70mm f2.8 (even though it too is $2000) or maybe even the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 to keep it cheap. I’m not sure...

Can anyone help lend any opinions? Especially if you also have both systems? Any opinions are appreciated!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow