Holy Pixel 3!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FlyinDoc Regular Member • Posts: 214
Holy Pixel 3!

I made a similar post a few months back, and the Pixel 3 reaffirms it.

Computational RAW+JPEG, Night Sight, Learning portrait mode, synthetic fill flash - as a mere enthusiast, I am finding it harder and harder to think of reasons to carry my camera, multiple lenses, SD cards, ND filters, CP filters, blower, batteries, tripod, and camera bag with me the next time I go somewhere. Not to mention the monthly Adobe subscription.

For casual photography and memory making imagery, phones are now better or as good as dedicated cameras and optics. That is devastating for the purist in me.

It is beyond baffling why camera makers don't embrace computation. They had the tech long before Google, yet never developed or implemented in any meaningful way. Sony's phones had pre-burst buffering long back, yet none of their proper cameras have it. Beyond stupid. Multi-Frame Noise reduction, computational RAW (like in the Smooth Reflection app), Anti-Motion Blur etc, have been around for a long time. Yet not taken advantage of in any meaningful way.

Big prints and telephoto are the last bastions for traditional cameras it seems. How long before they fall before the smartphone juggernaut?

Pixel also has better video stabilization. Well, at least proper cameras with big sensors and fast glass are better for low light video and shallow DoF. For now.

FlyinDoc's gear list:FlyinDoc's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AHM
AHM
AHM
TG1
AHM
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow