My first impressions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hwzjerry Forum Member • Posts: 54
My first impressions

Just got my preordered kit, using with the RF 24-105. Don't have any adapter available, so can't test with EF lenses. Sorry I don't shoot video. My thoughts after a few hours:

Using Sandisk UHS-II cards, the buffer is big and writing was fast. Didn't notice too much of delay in viewing. Could be the sd cards that people are using that causes the slow playback.

AF-On button is small and plasticky, I've found it easier to use my thumb joint to activate it, not by using the tip of my thumb.

Buttons I'll inadvertently press are the right side of the M.Fn bar and the right arrow. So I've deactivated them for the moment.

FV mode doesn't follow the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed in settings, it has it's own defaults. So useless for me.

I like the removal of the Mode dial. It means I can directly change between C1, C2 and C3 at the press of the M.Fn button, thus going from normal shot to panning shot or flash to flash off with just one press. Don't even need to turn a dial. A feature only the 1D series had.

Top LCD is small and the info is cramped. I wish they allowed customization of what appears and also to have the number of shots left appear when the camera is off, like Fuji X-H1. Speaking of which, I wish the view modes could be expanded to have playback only in LCD, not viewfinder.

There should be different touchpad areas to be active for when the touchscreen is flipped out and away from body, and when it is in the normal position. I would use top right when it's in position, but when I flip it out I want to use bottom left using my left hand.

I don't need 5K af points. If I could customize the number I have available, even to 9 in the rule of thirds points, it would make it faster to select using the dials also. Make it like the old style way of using the back dial to select the points.

Despite my "complaints" (more like wishlist), I think this is a fantastic camera. It's fun to shoot and annoyances are minor. Its a well sorted camera, definitely above the Sony Gen II efforts. In terms of performance it may not be up there ( not meant to be, only 6D level) but the level of polish and ergonomics is way above Sony's efforts.

hwzjerry's gear list:hwzjerry's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Sony a9 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +23 more
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow