Advice Needed: EM1 II: How to track fasting moving subjects (and focusing)

Started Oct 6, 2018 | Questions thread
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,551
Re: Advice Needed: EM1 II: How to track fasting moving subjects (and focusing)

mad-marco wrote:

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

I keep both eyes open and try to superimpose the small aircraft in my left eye over the large one I see through the viewfinder in my right eye. That helps me keep the subject centred during its pass.

This is good advice.

If you can learn to shoot with the EVF and keep your other eye open, then it is much easier to reaquire the target of you lose it. I prefer EVFs to OVFs, but this is only my opinion.

Other settings that might help are:

• C-AF (obviously)
  • 5 or 9 focus points selected
  • Either sequential low with shutter shock or single shot (yes I do this and it works, just learn to gently pump the shutter button)
  • I don't use electronic shutter, but others seem to like it

As someone has previously mentioned, there is nothing quite like lots of practice.

That's how Vass gets his amazing bird pictures (and I think is commonplace in that long-tele style photography). It's hard to do at really long focal lengths, but very cool when you manage it).

Also known as, "practice, practice, practice".

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow