Sensor Cleaning

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RoyJonny Junior Member • Posts: 29
Sensor Cleaning

Canon was offering free Sensor cleaning at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. I gave my 5D4 and 24-105 F/4 II for cleaning. I always wondered how they cleaned Canon sensors.

We can watch the Canon technicians cleaning the equipment.
The procedure looked something like this. First they used good old Rocket Blower. Then they viewed the sensor through a loupe to detect dust. For some cameras they would use the gel stick (SCK-E1?). I think they did this step depending on amount/size of contamination. Next they would use a tweezer and wrap it around with Kimwipe. They wet the wipes using a chemical. I am guessing it is either IsoPropyl Alcohol or Methy Alcohol. They would they wipe it with dry Kimwipe. They were using 2 chemicals - one for sensor/mirror/eyepiece and another for exterior.
To clean the flash contacts, they used some pencil like thing which had white graphite on one end and a brush on other end.
The whole process took around 10 minutes.

I would like to know if you know what chemicals were being used and what was the thingy being used to clean the contacts?

Btw, they will do free cleaning till Oct-14, so those in Albuquerque can avail this.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow