All sorts of printing and color calibration questions

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Regular Member • Posts: 486
All sorts of printing and color calibration questions

I am interested in doing some printing for myself, to create a 12x18 format printed portfolio.

My options amount to buying a printer (Canon Pixma Pro 100 looking promising given the rebate offered) or selecting a print service provider.

Clearly if I buy my own printer, I can totally control the color calibration problem which I am no expert on, but can study and master.

Of course there is the question of whether I will really get the value of owning such a printer if my needs are limited, not to mention the cost of inks when buying in single tank denominations.

This begs the question of using a service provider. Which in turn begs the question of - how can I reliably get output that as closely resembles my intention post- Lightroom.

I mean if you print at Staples or Walgreens, it seems that what you get is a crap shoot in terms of color calibration. And you can pretty much forget about relying on their service staff for help.

What are peoples experience in value and quality with these various options? Are there mail order print providers that provide some means of color calibration.

If I understand it - roughly you have to apply some kind of gamma curve to an image that corresponds to a particular printer which when it goes through printer has the effect of inverting the gamma of the printer giving you back what you prepared in the first place.

I apologize for being so inexperienced about all of this, and greatly appreciate any pointers or useful references shared.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A7iii | Sony FE 28/2, Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4, Zeiss Sonnar 55/1.8, Sony 85/1.4 GM | Tamron 28-75/2.8, Sony 70-200/4 G

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow